Username Troubles

Wrong space. "Space" as in %20. The forum software originally did not allow usernames with white spaces. So "azurban clucker" was bad, but "azurbanclucker" is fine. After one of the forum software updates, that changed.
I knew that, but forgot about %20 being used for "space". Thanks for awakening my mind again.

Did you originally want the username azurban clucker?

I knew that, but forgot about %20 being used for "space". Thanks for awakening my mind again.

Did you originally want the username azurban clucker?
No, I've always had unbroken user names. If I wanted a space I'd use an underscore because in unixes it was an allowed unprotected character (EG not a "special" character). One of the remnants of being an old-school console cowboy.

There was a time when the max chars you could have was 8, too. Those were dark times indeed.

No, I've always had unbroken user names. If I wanted a space I'd use an underscore because in unixes it was an allowed unprotected character (EG not a "special" character). One of the remnants of being an old-school console cowboy.

There was a time when the max chars you could have was 8, too. Those were dark times indeed.
I've gotten very used to no spaces since Linux doesn't like them as a computer name. I'd usually use a dash.

Wow. Max 8 characters? I'd be NotAbita and you'd be azurbanc. Sounds like a very dark time indeed.

I've gotten very used to no spaces since Linux doesn't like them as a computer name. I'd usually use a dash.

Wow. Max 8 characters? I'd be NotAbita and you'd be azurbanc. Sounds like a very dark time indeed.
When I was in college we still had old Sun Sparcstation 20's running some ancient version of SunOS 3 on them. MAXCHAR for username AND pass was 8 each. You could enter as many characters as you wanted to in the prompt, the password subroutine just dropped anything in the buffer after the 8th space. So we'd troll the new people by having a casual conversation with them while just spamming keys and not looking at the console for 10 seconds or so after entering our actual 8 character passwords. it was terrible security, and actually ended up being a locally exploitable buffer overflow attack in later solaris 5 and 6 (if I remember correctly).

When I was in college we still had old Sun Sparcstation 20's running some ancient version of SunOS 3 on them. MAXCHAR for username AND pass was 8 each. You could enter as many characters as you wanted to in the prompt, the password subroutine just dropped anything in the buffer after the 8th space. So we'd troll the new people by having a casual conversation with them while just spamming keys and not looking at the console for 10 seconds or so after entering our actual 8 character passwords. it was terrible security, and actually ended up being a locally exploitable buffer overflow attack in later solaris 5 and 6 (if I remember correctly).
You made my eyes pop out hearing that the MAXCHAR for both username and password was 8. And then you mentioned the trolling. Which just makes it sound extra fun.

Either way it sounds like a very dark time, even if it was on a Sun computer. Especially the security risks.

Yesterday my brain was thinking about what kinds of sun-related names a piece of software could be named. Solaris popped in. And then I realized that was taken.

Back
Top Bottom