Uses for spoiled chicken feed?

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
Anyone have any good uses for spoiled chicken feed? Obviously they can't eat it. I opened a whole bag the other week and found it had clearly been wet and smelled moldy. Definitely didn't use any of it for the birds. I'm curious to know if there is a way I can use it for something instead of just trashing it.

It would easily attract flies and feed their larvae but I've heard that growing worms on spoiled feed can still hurt your chickens. Anyone have any input on this?

Look on the bag for manufacturer contact info. You should find an 800 number. Call them and report the spoiled bag. I did this years ago when I opened a bag that had moldy contents and they sent me a coupon for a replacement bag after asking me to e-mail photos of the spoiled contents and the bag mill date and lot number.

Toss it. Mold will also make meal worms sick, especially the adult beetles which would likely die from it.

Yeah they don't care. I'll just have to toss it. The stores are carrying out of date feed, don't care. The manufacturers are being contacted about it, also don't care. Hopefully our local feed store will start carrying their own layer feed soon. They're growing it right here so it should be fresh and less expensive.

Yeah they don't care. I'll just have to toss it. The stores are carrying out of date feed, don't care. The manufacturers are being contacted about it, also don't care. Hopefully our local feed store will start carrying their own layer feed soon. They're growing it right here so it should be fresh and less expensive.
Spoiled feed would make an excellent soil amendment. Just spread it on a lawn or garden and mulch over it or till it under.

Spoiled feed would make an excellent soil amendment. Just spread it on a lawn or garden and mulch over it or till it under.
Likewise, it would be a fantastic addition to (or the start of) a compost pile! Add in a bunch of leaves or woodchips and you'll have some great black gold. If you don't compost I'm sure a local gardener would love to put it to use.
Looks at my dry carbon-heavy piles and weeps

They beat me to it. Compost it. If you leave it in a thick layer when it gets wet it will probably draw flies, but if you bury it under other compostable material or mix it in well you should be fine. The mold that makes it dangerous for your chickens will help turn it into black gold for your garden or landscaping.

Was wondering the same thing. Had some feed go bad (my fault, not manufacturers), and I don't know why I didn't think to use it on plants. I probably can't put it in my compost pile as my chickens are all over right now, but I should have used it in my potted plants or something. What a great idea...

Back
Top Bottom