Using a Broody Hen but something’s different

The_Patriot5150

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Michigan
So this is my first time attempting to hatch out eggs and I want to do it with a broody. But with all the talk about them being a little protective of the eggs and pecking at your hands to keep you away, my “broody” hen doesn’t do that except for puff up and make a clucking noise, not a screech like others say they do. I don’t know if this could lead to issues like the broody killing the chicks or the broody not raising them for me like I hope she does. But she continues to sit on the nest and seems to do a good job for a first time broody, if anybody has any advice on what is going on with my hen I would very much appreciate it, Thank you.

Some are more docile and friendly with their handler and others attack whoever comes near, so there is nothing wrong with her so far.

Does she leave the nest to poop and eat, drink and stretch her legs?

Some are more docile and friendly with their handler and others attack whoever comes near, so there is nothing wrong with her so far.

Does she leave the nest to poop and eat, drink and stretch her legs?
Yes, she does get up once a day to make this mud pie of crap for me to pick up, nice👍, and she also gets something to eat and drink as well. To answer Maiahr, she has had eggs under her for 19 days and I was just wondering about her strange, kind, and gentle behavior toward me. She has not pecked at me and not even screeched at me like my other broodies. I don’t know if breed matters, she is a light Brahma.

So she is OK then...How many eggs and when are they due to hatch? All of my hens are friendly and docile. But I have visited neighbours hens and they indeed are aggressive. Off topic but most common practice here is to put eggs in the incubator the same day as under the hen. Then put the newly hatched incubated chicks under the hen. And in my village I am the expert in putting incubated chicks under broody hens and I can confirm most are pecking and screeching.. Yours is just a kinder character :) I have light Brahmas too, they have not been broody yet though, this year I hatched Silver Brahma..

Broodies can be protective, and that's what they should be. Feather-ruffling (making herself look larger, the way we would do if a bear was coming our way) and growling or roaring are normal broody behaviors.

When you hear her clucking softly, you will know that hatching is near or has started. Once she starts talking to them, you can be pretty sure she has accepted them and will take care of them.

By the way, if you have a good daddy roo, he will lean into the nest and cluck to the babies, too. That's a good way to know that he will be a good father.

Back
Top Bottom