using a contraceptive implant (made for dogs) to stop crowing...Anyone ever heard of this?

Wow, thank you so much for the update. That is fantastic info. I had started looking into the product because I have a hen with thin shelled eggs. Despite dietary changes and loads of extra calcium she continues to have thin shelled eggs and I worry that it is going to lead to infection or a prolapse.
I also have a new batch of chicks coming and hate sending all the little roos away, so this gives me another option.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed update, gives me a lot of hope for the product.
I will give it a try and update how it goes with mine as well.

This is a revelation and it's revolutionary! This could help a lot of folks who want roos but have to get rid of them because of crowing and ordinances against the noise.

This ought to make keeping roosters as pets in the city a lot more doable!

Has anyone else used the suprelorin? I am very curious to know what other peoples results were. I wonder if it has an effect on their plumage....will the roosters still look like they should? I would imagine that they may have a smaller comb and wattles, but anything beyond that?
Were there any side effects? I have read that it may induce a molt, but I would not expect an immature bird should have this happen. Hmmmmm.....

Has anyone else used the suprelorin? I am very curious to know what other peoples results were. I wonder if it has an effect on their plumage....will the roosters still look like they should? I would imagine that they may have a smaller comb and wattles, but anything beyond that?
Were there any side effects? I have read that it may induce a molt, but I would not expect an immature bird should have this happen. Hmmmmm.....

The roosters do not develop any features that are dependant on large amounts of testosterone i.e. rooster plumage, crowing, mating and aggression. They look more like big hens - well this is all true of Prince, so I suppose it would be true of other roosters and it's certainly true of other male domestic animals that are castrated - e.g. domestic male cats that are castrated do not develop the large head, the desire to seek females and mate, and are far less aggressive. I haven't noticed a moult due to the Suprelorin implantation.

The implant is not registered for use in any species besides dogs and cats which is probably why there is little information about its use in chickens and other birds. As for hens, the implant is often used to stop egg laying in hens such as older Isa Browns which are prone to prolapse.

I would love to be able to conduct a study into the use of Suprelorin in roosters as there is so little information that is known. For instance as I mentioned the duration of action of the drug in birds is so highly variable that it can range from excellent to completely unreliable. In some individuals the drug ceases to work after only a few weeks, in others it may work for a year or so. I have been fortunate with Prince. The drug is a really good option for people who have grown attached to their little cockerels and who want the birds to remain sweet and affectionate - and QUIET!

Great information. I will be trying it out first with my hen for her laying issues, if all goes well I'll give it a try for the new boys once they are old enough. I suppose cost is going to be a determining factor with regards to the number of roos I try it with, but I will be sure to report back with my results.

I have used this implant (called Deslorelin in the U.S.) on approximately 7 ex-battery cage hens who developed life-threatening reproductive issues. It worked great in 6 of the hens, but only lasted one month in one of them (my favorite, naturally).

All the hens receiving this implant became more energetic, vibrant, and happy. Their combs all shrank and became pale, as did their abdomens. But their energy levels went through the roof! (Egg production takes up a huge amount of a hen's energy; freeing them of this burden was a boon to them.)

I had no idea this could be used in roosters and am really excited to try it in one of the (accidental) chicks I know is growing into a rooster. I wish it were not $200 a pop, though.

I talked to a poultry vet today about the implant. She would not do the procedure on my mottled Cochin cockerel. Is there a source to buy the implant from or does a vet have to do it? I really don't want to give up on my favorite chicken:( any info would be appreciated

I talked to a poultry vet today about the implant. She would not do the procedure on my mottled Cochin cockerel. Is there a source to buy the implant from or does a vet have to do it? I really don't want to give up on my favorite chicken:( any info would be appreciated

Can you try another vet? This whole thread is very interesting to me and I'm hoping more people join in with their experiences.

A vet has to do the procedure. My advice would be to find a vet who sees a lot of companion birds and exotics as they are more likely to have used the implant in birds.

Additionally i have recently had the implant placed into another young cockerel. It is working very well, I am very happy with the results. I thought i had left it too late as he was 12 weeks at the time of the procedure and a couple of days after having the suprelorin placed, he uttered some half hearted crows. However, he stopped doing them over the next week, and it has now been at least a month since then. He is extremely friendly and good natured, makes an adorable pet.

Back
Top Bottom