Using a seedling heat mat to brood chicks (?)

Buzz.Cluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
Southern New Jersey
This is the earliest I've ever had chicks in Southeren NJ (coming next week) and I am worried about getting my brooding space to a high enough temp given how cold its been here (low 30s/high 20s). I am using a kiddie pool on a slate floor in an enclosed porch so the temp inside the porch is pretty much the same as outside.

I'm thinking about putting a seedling heating mat under the kiddie pool. The box says it raises temp 10-20 degrees and if it radiates heat the whole floor should get warmer. I am assuming I can just adjust my heat lamp to account for the difference but am I missing anything obvious/detrimental to using the mat assuming I keep a close eye on the overall temps so as not to overheat?

Thanks!

should help with your temp. they are made to get damp, besides it is under the water proof pool. this along with a heat lamp they can get under should suffice.

Thanks folks! I will def be testing out this weekend to see how large an area it will actually warm and get temp controls down.

My only other concern was that the mat might melt the pool or give off noxious odors but the mat is made to have a plastic plant flat on top of that should be a non-issue.

Last edited:
After the paper towel stage, 5 dayish, I don't see how the seedling heater will help with pine chips on the floor acting as insulation. Thinking your better off just using the lamp and ensuring it holds 95F at floor level at night.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a radiant berrier or some sheet insulation . Put that on the floor and then the pool on top. THis way you have a barrier between the cold floor and the brooder. That combined with a infrared or ceramic brooder bulb should do.

Back
Top Bottom