1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using a seedling heat mat to brood chicks (?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buzz.Cluck, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Buzz.Cluck

Buzz.Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    This is the earliest I've ever had chicks in Southeren NJ (coming next week) and I am worried about getting my brooding space to a high enough temp given how cold its been here (low 30s/high 20s). I am using a kiddie pool on a slate floor in an enclosed porch so the temp inside the porch is pretty much the same as outside.

I'm thinking about putting a seedling heating mat under the kiddie pool. The box says it raises temp 10-20 degrees and if it radiates heat the whole floor should get warmer. I am assuming I can just adjust my heat lamp to account for the difference but am I missing anything obvious/detrimental to using the mat assuming I keep a close eye on the overall temps so as not to overheat?

Thanks!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Will it short out if it gets wet from the water container?

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I don't see why it would hurt to try it, but I would highly advise to set it up and test the temps before the chicks get there.

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    should help with your temp. they are made to get damp, besides it is under the water proof pool. this along with a heat lamp they can get under should suffice.

5. Buzz.Cluck

Buzz.Cluck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks folks! I will def be testing out this weekend to see how large an area it will actually warm and get temp controls down.

My only other concern was that the mat might melt the pool or give off noxious odors but the mat is made to have a plastic plant flat on top of that should be a non-issue.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    After the paper towel stage, 5 dayish, I don't see how the seedling heater will help with pine chips on the floor acting as insulation. Thinking your better off just using the lamp and ensuring it holds 95F at floor level at night.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a radiant berrier or some sheet insulation . Put that on the floor and then the pool on top. THis way you have a barrier between the cold floor and the brooder. That combined with a infrared or ceramic brooder bulb should do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by