Using abbreviated terms for breeds/varieties

tadkerson

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Missouri
I am sure this has be touched upon before but I want to add my two cents.

I have noticed many individuals on this forum have been using abbreviated terms in posts to name breed/varieties. In the post, one should define the abbreviated term.

For example, I crossed a silver-laced wyandotte (SLW) with a black leghorn (BL) and all of the offspring had rose combs like the SLW but were black like the BL. This is the established way to use abbreviated terms. First define the abbreviated term , then give the abbreviation and after that you can abbreviate until the cows come home. Anyone reading the post knows what the abbreviation means.

Tim

Last edited:
I get totally confused with all the abbreviations. Then when someone calls something blue BA, is it a blue or black Australorp? It gets confusing

I get totally confused with all the abbreviations. Then when someone calls something blue BA, is it a blue or black Australorp? It gets confusing
or blue andalusian or ...

and people working on "olive eggers" call them OE...
duc.gif

Good point! Abreviations can be handy as long as everyone involved has a decoding key & all agree on what abreviations should be used. The Australorp/Andalusian example is a good on: obviously they can't both be BAs unless there's something in the post that identifies which one is being referenced.
The use of these abreviations is another example of how things are done on BYC vs how they are done in the rest of the poultry world. People elsewhere don't use abreviations. I'm the secretary for 2 different Poultry hows & have never had someone ask me where the BAs were being caged.
Personally I find the use of theese abreviations a little annoying. I often get PMs asking me to comment on a SS or something. I usually repley that I don't have any idea what an SS is.

Back
Top Bottom