Using an old wooden playhouse as coop?

Moonie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
I hope I am posting in the correct place. We have finally decided to get chickens and will be picking our chicks up next week. We are still working out what we are going to do for a coop. We have an old wooden children's playhouse that has not been used in 15 years. Is it safe to turn it into a coop? We have no idea what wild animals/rodents have called it home over the last 15 years. Would it be possible to sanitize it enough to be safe for our chickens? If there are mites/lice/fleas etc from wild animals in it are those easy to clean away with a good scrubbing? Thanks for any tips/advice.

Yes, you can make it into a chicken coop. I've heard of a large doghouse being turned into a chicken coop. Just make sure you clean it very well and block up any holes so no rodents can get in. I'm getting my chicks next week too!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks lightchick! Now to get cleaning:) good luck with your new chicks!

My 1st coop was an old run down playhouse. I made it so that I could keep them in and safe and I am still working in it. That's been 4 years ago. I have added to it and as far as the playhouse goes, it is done but I am still adding on to it. I know this is slow moving and it should have been done, but I keep changing and adding as I scrounge materials. I have 2 coops attached together by a glassed in walkway that I feed and water them in. I was fortunate enough to get the windows for a little of nothing and I scrounged 2x4 and 3/4 plywood and anything that I could use on it. I've seen on BYC where people have started with dog houses, lean-too-sheds, pallets, and many other things. The chickens don't care what it looks like just as long as they are in the dry and out of the wind. Make sure they are watered and fed and the will be fine. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom