Using An Owl Decoy In My Garden??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, May 23, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I had an owl decoy sitting in the middle of my garden. My chicks (9 weeks old) have not discovered the garden yet. I moved my owl decoy to the end of my garden, which is in the direction of where my chicks would come from once they do figure out I have a garden. Has anyone had any luck with a decoy to deter the chicks or will they just ignore it and curiously peck at it as they go by?
    I also feel like it may attract a real owl, which I understand, would have a disastrous outcome.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    [​IMG]

I can't say for sure about your girls, but I know my girls would figure out it's fake then go about munching on my plants.

I'm not certain it would attract an owl, but it definitely won't keep one away, or a hawk for that matter. I've read a few posts of hawks perching on decoys.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

After awhile of it just sitting there not moving, they will know it's a fake. Basicly in their mind it's just like a rock. If it moved or had something around it that moved, glittery eyes, it may add some deterance.

4. KellyclanMom

KellyclanMom New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    I have one that the head swivels on it & as long as I move it around every other day or so my BO hen
    gives that sucker a wide berth LOL It is entertaining watching her.

KellyclanMom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by