Using An Owl Decoy In My Garden??

Buff-Island-Australorp

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Bixby, OK
I had an owl decoy sitting in the middle of my garden. My chicks (9 weeks old) have not discovered the garden yet. I moved my owl decoy to the end of my garden, which is in the direction of where my chicks would come from once they do figure out I have a garden. Has anyone had any luck with a decoy to deter the chicks or will they just ignore it and curiously peck at it as they go by?
I also feel like it may attract a real owl, which I understand, would have a disastrous outcome.

welcome-byc.gif

I can't say for sure about your girls, but I know my girls would figure out it's fake then go about munching on my plants.

I'm not certain it would attract an owl, but it definitely won't keep one away, or a hawk for that matter. I've read a few posts of hawks perching on decoys.

After awhile of it just sitting there not moving, they will know it's a fake. Basicly in their mind it's just like a rock. If it moved or had something around it that moved, glittery eyes, it may add some deterance.

I have one that the head swivels on it & as long as I move it around every other day or so my BO hen
gives that sucker a wide berth LOL It is entertaining watching her.

KellyclanMom

Back
Top Bottom