Using Australorp to Hatch Seramas?

juliecox

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
Hi! I have a handful of backyard chickens, including a frequently-broody Australorp. She has hatched 2 batches of chicks for me in the past. I've been intrigued by Seramas recently; they're just so dang adorable! I wondered if anyone had ever used a LF hen to hatch Seramas. I was a little leery of it simply because of the vast difference in size. Opinions? Insights? Thanks so much!

Might work or might not. I probably wouldn't risk it with really expensive shipped serama eggs. A good broody might be able to handle any size of egg and bantams are sometimes used to hatch quail eggs so the size difference can work. Then again it's very easy for a large broody to have an accident with a small egg. A damaged egg or 2 wouldn't surprise me.

a long time ago when i had silkies i let a hen hatch quail eggs and she squished quite a few of them cuz her feet was so big.....if you do it i would really watch and take them rt away...i hate doing that to a hen so i would let her hatch a few bigger eggs so she can keep some...

Back
Top Bottom