Using bait stations for mice

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
The mice have moved into my chicken coop, and the cats are having a hard time keeping up (although they are getting quite stout with trying). I would like to put some of the bait stations in and around the coop, but can't find some basic answers to my questions - hopefully you guys can answer:

What exactly happens to the mice after they come in and eat the bait? Do they go away and die somewhere, like under my coop??? Will they go to the woods, back to their nest (aka, somewhere in or around the coop)?

And, if one of my cats gets hold of a rat which has eaten poison, will it kill them too or are they likely to stay away from poisoned mouse?

Kate

We had mice in the walls of a previous home. We put out bait - and they died in the walls. HORRENDOUS smell - and no way (other than knocking out the walls) to get to them. We had to just shut off those rooms for a couple weeks until the smell was gone. I'd be very wary of using bait. Chickens would try to eat a dead mouse - and other pets would, too. Instead, you could get some mouse traps. Just put them where the cat and chickens and other pets won't get caught.

what you can do is put some poison things outside the coop. make sure not to free range the chickens though

at the camp we used to rent the owner said he set up cups of peppermint oil for baking and he sat down and watched 6 mice come out one hole. so free range your chickens and put that in your coop.

Last edited:
chickens love to eat mice... even poisoned ones...stay away from poison it only leads to heartbreak....e-bay sells multi catch mouse traps that keep setting themself...use self contained traps as a chicken with his head in a mouse trap is not fun...
th.gif

They have small humane mouse traps where the mouse just walks through the hole and can't get back out. I would use those and then depose of the mouse whatever way you want.

I highly recommend you avoid poison. My neighbors cat was doing a great job with any rodents around my coop. Well sadly, my neighbor ended up poisoning his own cat trying to get rid of rodents on his property and lucky me it died in my backyard. The best thing to do is get/make a feeder that eliminates spillage and waste. See my page for one option.
Keith

Whatever happened to the thread about the homemade mousetrap using a can and peanut butter and a pole over a bucket of water?
Come to think of it, I should make one of those for our shed
roll.png

Thanks - my hens love a mouse as well, and I was worried a poisoned mouse would hurt them too. The day I discovered the mouse nest and 10 of them ran over my feet, the hens went crazy - although they were not fast enough to catch one.

I am fairly certain however that I am not tough enough to kill mice caught in a live trap. Looks like I need a couple of more cats....

Back
Top Bottom