1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using brinsea octogan as brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nadrojsack, Jan 27, 2015.

1. nadrojsack

nadrojsack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    Durham, uk
    I was wondering if.anyone has used the clear removable module on the brinsea octogan 20 as a brooder heat source? surely i could mount that to one side of a box and run that? please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. thankyou

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry but I don't think this would work. The module is designed to work as an enclosed unit with the incubator base to keep the heat in so in a box it just wouldn't stay warm enough for chicks. It is also a fan unit so the heat would be distributed too far and not actually onto the chicks where they need it. Because it would never reach the required temp there is strong possibility that the unit would fail as the heating element would be constantly on trying to reach temp and as they are designed to go on and off I think it could burn it out. Which would then in turn void any warranty on the unit if it did break down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by