Using brown eggs for baking

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Iwannachicken, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hey,

Our chickens finally started laying eggs and we're so excited!

My hubby made some brownies with two of our brown eggs and they tasted great but were a little oily.
    The same thing happened with some fudge I made.

Is this from the fresh eggs?

Thanks,
    Karen

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No not from the eggs at all. We use brown eggs everyday, good question though because what could be causing the oiliness??.

AL

3. Iwannachicken

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Thanks Al. It seems like they have less white than regular store bought white eggs and they are medium sized
    instead of large.

DH is making a custard pie tonight and we'll see how it turns out. He wanted me to get on BYC earlier to ask, but I didn't have
    a chance to do it until now.[​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:It has the same amount of white it's just that yours are fresh and do not spread out as much as old store eggs. As far as the size you just have to adjust when using them to cook with.

AL

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I've used nothing BUT brown eggs for years, until I got my own personal white Leghorns...but anyway, they don't taste any different and they don't make your food look or taste any different either.

6. Iwannachicken

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Thanks for the replys, y'all.

Maybe it was something else in the recipe. The only thing I know that was different were the eggs.

I cook them for breakfast just about every morning and can't really tell much difference in the taste or
    texture. They seem to stick to the bowl a little more if I scramble them, but that's about all.

It's fun going into the back yard and getting eggs every day. I even have enough to share with neighbors!

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I use our brown, white, and blue/green eggs in all recipes with no difference in texture, etc. Homegrown eggs do tend to have a richer flavor, especially if the chickens are free ranged or fed greens/vegetables.

The issue may be that your eggs are medium size. The ratio of egg to other ingredients is lower than when you've used store bought size large eggs. When we have pullet eggs, I weigh them out for recipes. The standard weight of a large egg is 2 ounces. Weigh enough medium eggs to make an equivalent amount of large eggs. You may have to divide an egg to make the measurement work out.

8. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Brown eggs and white eggs are the same, except the color of the shell

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Maybe it's just me but I've found the brown egg shells a little harder to chew while the egg tastes absolutely the same regardless of color.

10. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    So do the Ameracauna shells taste like spearmint?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by