Using cartons to hatch

bstarr20

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Louisiana
What are your thoughts on putting eggs in cartons once on lockdown to prevent the hatched babies from rolling the other eggs around? We are going on vacation Friday and eggs should hatch on Sunday and I know my son won't be in and out checking like my daughter and I do.

I actually have a hatch going on as we speak with pheasant and quail eggs in cartons. I can't say that much with using cartons to hatch, this is my first hatch trying this method. I know they say the carton will help the chick to hatch out easier for them than the egg lying down. I'm also sure it makes it easier to keep the egg shells clean in the incubator.

Hope this helps!
wink.png

I have done it befor and Im hatching most of this next hatch in them as well. Its got good and bad. They dont get rolled around , slimed and slept on by the hatching babies ect.
If the baby pips the wrong end though its not likely to be able to hatch though in a carton but if it was laying down it might . And for large eggs I have to wonder if them being that much closer to the heating element in the styro bators woudnt effect what temp there at but thats just me pondering.

Back
Top Bottom