Using Chickens For Fertilizer?

I agree composting would be best (I do my compost in yearly batches, just got the bin cleared out to start 2024's harvest) though I do put small amounts of poop directly onto shrubs lining our driveway in the late fall and winter, as I generate too much poop to put in the compost bin. No issue with burning as the plants are established and I only put a scoop here and there to help serve as fertilizer.

My biggest concern with the Chicken Poop is the Salmonella and the E Coli that can be present in the fresh Poop. Heat, sunlight and time will kill it off for use with plants you intend to eat, especially uncooked. Your straw will help aerate your compost helping oxygen get in for the good bacteria to thrive, not to mention the added carbon. That said Chicken Manure has everything plants need to thrive, both macronutrients and the micronutrients.

It is fine to side dress high nitrogen loving plants such as corn. While the manure in coop litter is hot. Otherwise it is best to either cover your garden with coop litter and till it under in the fall. To break down over the winter. Or compost it in a pile, for use in the fall or next spring. You can make manure “tea” to give your plants an extra boost. Before the manure has broken down. Obviously only water the base of your plants with it.

There are a couple ways to use Poultry Manure in the garden.
  • Spreading it on the garden in the Fall
  • Composting
  • Aerated Manure Tea/ Actively Aerated Manure Tea
  • Steeped Manure Tea
I tend to use Poultry Manure in my Compost and in an Aerated Manure Tea.

I don't like Steeped Teas because they take 1 to 3 weeks to extract nutrients and they tend to introduce Anaerobic Bacteria that feed on the good bacteria in your soil.

An Aerated Tea, one that is constantly aerated, takes 12 to 24 hours and will add Beneficial Aerobic Bacteria that benefit the soil and plants.

Back
Top Bottom