Using Chickens For Fertilizer?

Raptor Chicken

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
Dinwiddie, VA
My Coop
My Coop
We decided to get serious about gardening this season and yesterday I tilled up a 8x55' plot, or at least broke ground. Still a lot more tilling to do.

Mrs Raptor brought up trying to use the chicken poop as fertilizer. We use straw in our coop so any poop we got would be mixed with straw.

Any reason to try or not try this? Advice?

We decided to get serious about gardening this season and yesterday I tilled up a 8x55' plot, or at least broke ground. Still a lot more tilling to do.

Mrs Raptor brought up trying to use the chicken poop as fertilizer. We use straw in our coop so any poop we got would be mixed with straw.

Any reason to try or not try this? Advice?
Chicken poo makes great fertilizer but you should compost it first for at least 6 months prior. It's high in ammonia (I think) so not great to begin with. I'm not entirely sure about it but I've heard great things about using worm farms in compost. Personally I'm lazy and just use bought fertilizer

Beyond the above good advice, the poop still has germs in it when not composted. So, rain hits the ground with poop, and it gets splashed up onto the plump strawberry that you’ll pick after it rains, or other produce, some that is eaten raw. That’s the other reason to compost it first.

Rabbits…their poop is fine to add directly to the garden, it’s not “hot”, so it won’t burn the plants, plus nothing that makes humans sick. Their urine might be “hot” -I’m not sure.

The carbon in the straw bedding will help balance the nitrogen in the poo. I use wood shavings and duck poo as mulch on plants and have never burned anything. Tilling the poo into the soil will have the same effect. That said, if you're worried about germs from the manure, composting first would be better.

Back
Top Bottom