Using coop debris for Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ambe0487, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I was thinking of taking my used bedding and spreading over the areas in my yard that I typically mulch for weed cover. Is there anything I need to do to it I order for it to be safe (not hot)?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I forgot to add that the bedding is a combination of sand, dried prairie grass, pine shavings, and of course poop!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Areas, like around bushes or flower beds? Generally it would be better to compost it first.

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    CHicken manure is pretty hot - compost it.

I put our sheep/llama manure directly under fruit trees, etc..

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    One time I stunned a friend by offering to clean out his chicken coop on the condition I could have all the debris. His coop had never been cleaned so the poop had been decomposing in place. I spread it right on my garden without problems.

However, I've tried using my own chicken manure to augment garden soil, and I have a problem with it being too high in nitrogen for some plants like tomatoes. I live in a very arid climate and with a drought these past years, it takes years for chicken poop to break down and quit being "hot".

As far as poop goes, it's one of the highest in nitrogen so you need to be careful with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by