Using Duck Pond Water for Garden. ?'s

Brilliant concept! Yes! Nutrients from the ducks and geese are very good for plants!

Here are some further thoughts:

When I convert plastic drums to rainbarrels and add a spigot (faucet, depending on your region) to the bottom of the barrel, I use a spigot that has a threaded pipe end, two wide thick flexible (rubber or plastic) washers that fit very snugly around the pipe end, and a nut (threaded metal ring).

I apologize - I don't have a photo right now. Note to self: take pictures next time.

Then I can attach a garden hose when I want to drain the barrel. You could also use another kind of valve.

If the water isn't too rich with nutrients (allowed to go too long between water changes), direct application seems like a good idea. You may want to try direct application on a test patch first. But I haven't heard of duck or goose stuff burning plants. Chicken manure, yes. But not duck or goose.

Depending on the plants in the garden, you could fertigate (fertilize + irrigate) the plants directly at the base or add the nutrient-rich water to a compost pile (making sure it drains well and doesn't take on too much water, turning it anaerobic).

I would just be careful not to fertigate too close to harvest time, especially with leafy greens and others that aren't cooked.

If the pools are uphill from the barrels, or can be set up that way (where the bottom of the pool is above the top of the barrel), you could siphon the material out. I plan to use a manual bilge pump, since most of my garden beds are downhill from the kiddie pool.

Nice, sustainable approach! Congratulations!!
thumbsup.gif
Hi all I don’t know how old this thread is but I just realized I can purchase a submersible pump for my goose pool on Amazon for 53$. Attach a hose to it and water the garden! Why I didn’t think of this a decade ago!! Happy spring from Fairview NC🤠

Back
Top Bottom