using egg cartons advise please eggs going in tomorrow

loupan

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 24, 2011
newzealand
Hi i have been reading on here that alot of people say for best results keep shipped eggs in the egg carton to help with the air sac ,my question is what is the best way of turning the eggs whilst in the carton ,should i carry on with the x and o method and just quikly turn eggs round in carton ? also should i take carton out when it comes to lockdown any advise would be greatly appreciated as my last hatch was a disaster
many thanks

What I've read is that they elevate one end of the carton at a time. Then switch ends. "Thats turning" in the carton method. I think the whole point is to keep the air cell in the proper end and not to let it float around. I'm not sure how long to keep them in the carton.

Also some don't turn them at all for a few days.

Quote:
I think you're referring to receiving shipped eggs and allowing them to *sit* before placing them in the incubator.

When I get shipped eggs, I let them sit in their egg carton until that evening to allow them to settle.

I take them out of the carton and place them in my auto turner inside the incubator.

If you don't have an auto-turner in your incubator, you can keep the eggs in an egg carton. Then tilt the entire carton to "turn" the eggs by placing something under one end of the carton - then next time, move it to the other end of the carton. At lockdown, you stop turning the eggs. I keep eggs in the carton for lockdown. It keeps the newly hatched chicks from knocking the unhatched eggs around. I'm totally sold on using egg cartons for lockdown/hatching. I have an auto-turner - and I move the eggs from the auto-turner to egg cartons for lockdown. Good luck!

how much of an angle should i have the carton tilted doesnt seem like it would turn the eggs much sorry im still very new at this
hide.gif

The purpose of turning the eggs to keep the yolk from sticking to the side. So there doesn't need to be a large angle for the turning. When I did it, I just placed a paperback book under one end - and then later, I moved the book to the other end of the carton. Once lockdown starts, the eggs aren't turned anymore.

I'm using an egg acrton for the first time right now. I received 12 duck eggs with floating air cells (one egg arrived rotten yuck!)...so i have them pointy end downa nd am using a snack sized NERDS pack to tuck under the elng side, then move to the other side. I suspect the angle isn;t enough. i also suspect none of these eggs are going to grow, for other reasons.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom