1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

using egg cartons ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Is it better to hatch eggs on the screen in bators laying on its side or would using a plastic egg carton sitting the eggs with pointed end down be any better? seems like the hatched chicks move the other eggs around. Is this bad for the eggs, its like being in a turner.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hatch in the paper cartons and have for the last 3 or so years.....I'll never go back to hatching with them on their sides.

3. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would like to know more on this since I am going to be building a incubator over the next few days. Right now all I have are the Styrofoam cartons that eggs came in form the store.

4. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    my wife gave me this hard plastic carton that I think eggs made of chalk came in. I guess i will try it. it seems like it would be better.

5. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    I was wondering the same thing! My concern with the egg crates is won't the chicks fall out of the crate once hatced? Can they hurt themselves?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They fall/crawl out of it once they're hatched.....they don't get hurt tho. Even my little bantams hop right out.

7. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    So how is this better than layign them on their sides? Is there any benifits to doing it this way? Can you use any paper egg carton? I am thinking about doing this as well.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Some use the egg cartons and shift it side to side like an egg turner would. Then they remove the eggs for hatching. Many folks leave them in the carton but I personally don't because I am afraid they could get hurt. I try to do things as close to what mother nature would do. But, that is my opinion and what works for me. Good luck to you. [​IMG]

9. madrooster

madrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    villa rica ,ga
    i leave mine on their side when hatch time comes, but hets my preference, either way people have success with, its seems like thats how the hen does it so thats i do it on their side.my two cents

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I use only paper cartons throughout. I attach a metal tube to the bottom of the carton, so I can just tip the whole carton from side to side. easy peasy. They hatch in the same carton too. Very little mess and no egg soccer. The chicks have no problem whatsoever hopping out, but then they usually hop back in and cuddle down for a post hatch nap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by