Using Flex Seal inside and out?

Definitely part of it they can get to but most they can't. Also, I sprayed the door frame since I was going to have the door open all day anyway and it's been sticking from swelling and clumped up PDZs. Hopefully it will dry enough to close it up before too long. I know it says 48 hr to fully cure and 24 hr to apply a second coat but if it's at least dry enough to close up the coop and let them back in, I think they will leave it alone. I hope. Most of it is near the windows where they can't get but there is a small spot near the nesting boxes where they can.
Mine was put on with a sponge brush and put on pretty thick. If you sprayed it then you should be fine. It's a little tacky when first dried but shouldn't stick to them.

Mine was put on with a sponge brush and put on pretty thick. If you sprayed it then you should be fine. It's a little tacky when first dried but shouldn't stick to them.

Good! They are not happy being locked out and not shy about telling me this. 😂 I sure wish I'd sprayed the whole thing before moving them in. Live and learn...

What temp is this stuff supposed to cure at?

According to the manufacturer, ideal is above 60*, recommended between 32 and 120* but it can be used successfully in -80 - 350*. And it can be applied in a light rain too but they recommend reapplying once dry. This is the stuff where the guy in the commercial says "It even works under water!"

No rotted wood. It's a brand new coop. One of those prefabbed ones that dont last long. The reason I want too use the flex seal. It should make the coop last a lot longer. Fingers crossed that it does.
Just after an update. Did using the FlexiSeal work & prolong the life of the coop? Also has it kept mites at bay?

Cheers.

My two cents & experience using flex seal on a coop floor..... I wish I hadn’t wasted my money. They claim that it can start onto anything and seals everything up tight. Well, my coop floor is made of OSB, and I applied it to the specifications on the cans. I also allowed it to cure for three times as long as they recommended before walking on it. INSTANT REGRET. It was so hard to spread(incredibly viscous), so painting took forever. Also, by day two of walking on it, it stared peeling up and flaking off in my main travel paths. Mind you, I was being very careful not to drag my feet or any materials across it just in case.

I tried touching base with the company to troubleshoot for WEEKS over various platforms... social media, email, website, you name it. I got nothing back from any direct emails, and when my bad reviews in social media comments were met with the standard, “We’re so sorry about your experience! Please message us with more details so we can help rectify your problem!” I was still met with silence. Worst customer service I’ve experienced.

Long story short, I wasted $80 on product, and this summer will be cleaning my coop and installing linoleum flooring. Since this is my only coop, I have no other option to seal the floor with anything that needs to dry/cure/air out for a set amount of time. Should have just gone with linoleum from the beginning.

Just after an update. Did using the FlexiSeal work & prolong the life of the coop? Also has it kept mites at bay?

Cheers.
I stopped using the coop last summer as it was just too small for my liking. So I can't say anything on the mites, but I always used diatomaceous earth anyways. What I can say though is the coop has sat outside in all the elements since I stopped using it. Even with this horrible winter, I do not see any damage. Mind you though, we still have lots of snow so I can't get to it too check out all of it.

My two cents & experience using flex seal on a coop floor..... I wish I hadn’t wasted my money. They claim that it can start onto anything and seals everything up tight. Well, my coop floor is made of OSB, and I applied it to the specifications on the cans. I also allowed it to cure for three times as long as they recommended before walking on it. INSTANT REGRET. It was so hard to spread(incredibly viscous), so painting took forever. Also, by day two of walking on it, it stared peeling up and flaking off in my main travel paths. Mind you, I was being very careful not to drag my feet or any materials across it just in case.

I tried touching base with the company to troubleshoot for WEEKS over various platforms... social media, email, website, you name it. I got nothing back from any direct emails, and when my bad reviews in social media comments were met with the standard, “We’re so sorry about your experience! Please message us with more details so we can help rectify your problem!” I was still met with silence. Worst customer service I’ve experienced.

Long story short, I wasted $80 on product, and this summer will be cleaning my coop and installing linoleum flooring. Since this is my only coop, I have no other option to seal the floor with anything that needs to dry/cure/air out for a set amount of time. Should have just gone with linoleum from the beginning.
Nothing works on OSB board. From my experience just one time using i
OSB for flooring in my tortoise shed, I would never use it again for flooring. Everything will just lift the pieces of wood. Covering it with something solid or not using it at all for flooring is the better way to go.

I used the spray on the walls, window frames and a little on the door frame and the ledge where the nesting boxes are attached. It worked fantastic on the walls and window area but on the door frame and nesting box ledge, it lifted. I will admit I was not able to let it cure as long as I'd have liked too because I used it after they were already living there so I had to close them out in the run to let it dry and I would have preferred to leave it for 48 hrs but that wasn't an option. I don't know if that's what caused the problem, but any "ground surface" lifted whereas the walls and things where no one was walking held. I think in the future I would just want to use it at a time when I could let it cure the entire 48 hrs but this was an emergency patch job and not an ideal use.

Nothing works on OSB board. From my experience just one time using i
OSB for flooring in my tortoise shed, I would never use it again for flooring. Everything will just lift the pieces of wood. Covering it with something solid or not using it at all for flooring is the better way to go.

I had actually heard that, so I sealed the floor with Polyurethane first. If there’s one thing OSB does reliably, its that it absorbs moisture and swells. I did it for added moisture protection, as well as to help bind the flaky bits together. Their website claims that Flex Seal should still adhere to Polyurethane without problems.

We’re coming up on the 1 year mark fo our coop, and I see no signs of damage to the OSB so far. Hoping that catching this problem and mitigating with linoleum early will help. Poop boards under the roosts have helped immensely as well. Reduces the volume of droppings on the floor

Back
Top Bottom