1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using golf balls for fake eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angus flock, Jan 11, 2016.

1. angus flock

angus flock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2016
    I have a flock of 10 hens all about 20 weeks old I heard if you put fake eggs it will help them to start laying I found some but there were only 2 per package and 6.00 a set so I read on here that you can use golf balls. Is this true? 5 out of the hens have bright red crowns and the other are a pale red/pink. How soon do you think they will start laying?? Help

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I have also read that golf balls work but I have not personally used them..

When their combs turn bright red(like you said) they are very close to laying!! Any day now!

3. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    My chickens new the difference between the golf ball and just kicked them out of the nesting boxes.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The fake eggs (golf balls) seem to work in most cases but, if the pullets are not close to laying it's not going to speed up things.

5. ToddQ

ToddQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Ellicottville, NY
    I used golfballs in my hen boxes. Worked great. After all my girls had been laying for a month or so they started kicking out the balls so I just removed them then.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. The Chicken Fan

The Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I used golf balls and actually still use one. All of my girls prefer to lay with it then in the other nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by