Using Grandpa's Feeders with Ducks

hammerklavier

In the Brooder
May 22, 2018
Since ducks don't feed with their feet like chickens they may have some difficulty in learning how to properly use the Grandpa's feeder. Obviously, you need to remove the scratch guard plate. But an additional problem is that ducks don't like to get as close to the feeder as chickens do, so they are not standing on the step that opens the feeder at the point where they think they are close enough to start eating. But you can set up a Grandpa's feeder for ducks by making these modifications (see photo). 1) remove scratch plate, 2) surround with a bit of fencing to prevent side feeding (and getting conked on the head) 3) add a lightweight ramp onto the step held in place by a single hook or bolt with washer at the far end.

I also put a brick on the door at night and remove after I let the ducks out to prevent squirrels from getting an early morning snack.

grandpa_feeder.png

Did your ducks learn to use this easily?

I've considered buying one, but my ducks aren't the smartest. And they've been eating from a dog dish for 6.5 years so I'm not sure they are up for learning. I'm also worried they'll hurt themselves.

Your ducks are stunning! What breed are they?
Do you only have four? I'm wondering because your poor female is certainly going to be overmated with three drakes.
They are mutts, part Roan, part Cayuga and part Ancona, more or less. Only one of the drakes is a problem, the other two are gentlemen.

Did your ducks learn to use this easily?

I've considered buying one, but my ducks aren't the smartest. And they've been eating from a dog dish for 6.5 years so I'm not sure they are up for learning. I'm also worried they'll hurt themselves.
Yes, they didn't have much trouble once I made the improvements. The feeder has a bolt that holds it open for the early stage of training and then half open and then you can finally leave it closed once they are used to it.

Back
Top Bottom