Using Hay or Straw in the chicken runs

netty74

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Conway , SC
hi , I saw recently on a show where the outdoor chicken runs had straw / hay in them . I have thought about using them in my runs . my runs tend to get wet with the heavy rain we have been getting ,, My husband and i just put a lot of sand in the runs so hopefully we will have no more problems with flooding . Also my husband just recently covered the roofs in metal so now they are even more protected from the weather . Has anyone ever used hay in their runs ?? If so what are the advantages and disadvantages ?? Thanks !!

I have heard of others using it in their runs as part of a deep litter system for penned chickens. What you have to watch out for is mold and mites. Some hay and straw gets mites from where it was stored before you get it and moisture will create mold, hence the DL method to prevent it. Good Luck!

Ok thanks for your help . The hay I buy for my cows comes from a local farmer . I am doing the deep litter inside if the coop . I'm kind if a freak when it comes to cleaning my chicken runs , I'm always out scooping the runs and scraping the roost . I also sprinkle DE in the run areas at least twice a week . Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom