Using Heated Water Bowl, but Chickens keep Pooping in the water

colece

Hatching
Dec 17, 2015
Norwalk, CT
I live in CT and have 3 chickens about 2 years old, they have a small coop in my backyard, I got them from a friend who couldn't keep them anymore,so this is my first winter. The water started to freeze so I bought a heated water bowl from Petco, and elevated it on a few bricks, but they keep perching on the side of the bowl and pooping in the water! Every day I have to clean it at least once. I don't want them to get sick from drinking contaminated water, but I don't want to have to purchase a whole new water bowl (this is my third one / trial and error) And suggestions?

What does it look like? Could you post a photo or a link to the product?

Without knowing what it looks like my thought is to build a platform or something over it or hang something over it to stop them perching on the rim yet leave enough room to drink. Depending on what it looks like that may need something elaborate or maybe something as simple as put some sand or dirt in a milk jug so the wind doesn’t blow it around and hang that over it.

I had the same problem we are just moving to nipples on the bottom of a 2 gal. bucket we used ones we already had and then bough the nipple 25 for under 3 bucks, but if you don't want to buy the chicken nipples you could make a paper cone that fits the bowl and then cut holes for them to stick their head through to drink i don't know if they would be too scared to drink though.

Could you put another container (ice cream bucket) into the heated dish? I'm thinking some container that would be higher than the dish rim and too narrow for them to perch on? I bought a heated dog dish and set an ice cream bucket down inside it--then I just bring out a bucket of fresh water and swap them out. The heating mechanism is in the bottom of the bowl, so it still works.

What size is your heated water bowl? I have a 5 qt heated bowl. Very easy solution, if it's the same size. If not, you can use the same concept! I take a gallon milk jug and fill it up with water, then set that in the middle of the dog bowl, so it creates a moat of water around the jug. They can't perch on it, this way! It also helps keep them from dragging their wattles through the water, which increases risk of frost bite. Now, you have a clean heated bowl, and you also have extra clean water available to top off the moat when ever it gets low. I have my flock of 25 using a 5 qt waterer/jug. Because they are on fermented feed, they don't drink as much water, so it still works for me.

What size is your heated water bowl? I have a 5 qt heated bowl. Very easy solution, if it's the same size. If not, you can use the same concept! I take a gallon milk jug and fill it up with water, then set that in the middle of the dog bowl, so it creates a moat of water around the jug. They can't perch on it, this way! It also helps keep them from dragging their wattles through the water, which increases risk of frost bite. Now, you have a clean heated bowl, and you also have extra clean water available to top off the moat when ever it gets low. I have my flock of 25 using a 5 qt waterer/jug. Because they are on fermented feed, they don't drink as much water, so it still works for me.
I like this idea.....shape of top of jug would probably deter perching on it.

Back
Top Bottom