1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using Herbs in Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by netty74, Aug 21, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    I have read alot about people using herbs in nesting boxes , What types of herbs and what are the benefits of using them ??? Do they keep pests away ??

2. They smell good. [​IMG]

I have put rosemary in some of my nests before, though not currently doing so.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I wouldn't use them but that's just my personal preference. Just keep in mind that chickens have sensitive respiratory systems

4. Banriona

Banriona Chillin' With My Peeps

Found this on the interwebs ages ago and saved it in my pinterest for such a time as I have chickens. My girls are too young yet to be laying, but once they come of age I plan to try at least some of these. I would only use a very small portion on top of their nest bedding/lining and change often.

Here is a partial list of common herbs and flowers and their beneficial properties:
    Basil - antibacterial, mucus membrane health
    Catnip - sedative, insecticide
    Cilantro - antioxidant, fungicide, builds strong bones, high in Vitamin A for vision and Vitamin K for blood clotting
    Dill - antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health
    Fennel -laying stimulant
    Garlic - laying stimulant
    Lavender - stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insecticide
    Lemon Balm - stress reliever, antibacterial, highly aromatic, rodent repellent
    Marigold - laying stimulant
    Marjoram - lay stimulant
    Mint (all kinds) - insecticide and rodent repellent
    Nasturtium - laying stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic, insecticide, wormer
    Oregano - combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu, blackhead and e-coli
    Parsley - high in vitamins, aids in blood vessel development, laying stimulant
    Peppermint - anti-parasitic, insecticide
    Pineapple Sage - aids nervous system, highly aromatic
    Rose Petals - highly aromatic, high in Vitamin C
    Rosemary - pain relief, respiratory health, insecticide
    Sage - antioxidant, anti-parasitic
    Spearmint - antiseptic, insecticide, stimulates nerve, brain and blood functions
    Tarragon - antioxidant
    Thyme - respiratory health, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-parasitic

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by