Using In-Cide to clean brooder?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hiya!

I've got MFDU eggs on day 2 in the bator, and I'm going to be sanitizing/cleaning the brooder, heater, feeder, waterer, and thermometer. I have a product called In-Cide that we bought when a water pipe flooded a room of my house. It says it's a "ready to use disinfectant, cleaner, mildewstat, fungicide, non-food contact sanitizer, virucide, deodorizer," and it "kills 99.9% of bacteria." The issue is: there's a part on the back that says:

"PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS, HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. Caution: Causes moderate eye irritation. Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing and wash clothing before reuse. ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS. This product is toxic to fish and freshwater aquatic invertebrates."

I was planning to use it to clean only the brooder because it's been sitting in my shed for almost a year. It would have about 19 days before the chicks would be introduced. Should I use something else, or is it safe to use this product? I'll put the ingredients below.

TIA!

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

Alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride..... 0.034%
Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride..... 0.026%
Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride..... 0.013%
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride..... 0.013%

OTHER INGREDIENTS: ..... 99.914%

This stuff sounds like a chemical nightmare... if you wouldn't be willing to spray it on your bed, I certainly wouldn't spray it where chicks are going to be.

If your brooder has been sitting for a year, just dust it off and put the chicks in. Really no need for a thorough cleaning unless there's a specific issue you're trying to address.

Back
Top Bottom