1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using lard instead of shortening

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScoobyRoo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I am having a hard time searching an answer to my question. I was able to buy 25# of lard for $13.00. Great find since I do a lot of baking. It does have a different taste since I used veg. shortening for many years. My question is-----

what is the substitution amount? I don't think it is equal since my piecrust recipe calls for a certain amount for shortening used and a different amount for lard. Example, pie crust says one cup of shortening OR 3/4 cup plus 2TBS of lard. That ratio is confusing enough when I want to enterchange in a different recipe. Any help out there?

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Use just a snidger less. That's a technical term [​IMG] Seriously, it's almost 1:1, just a bit less lard, until you get used to using it. Good for you going to lard, that's what I use here now.

3. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:[​IMG] that is new one to me. A 'snidger'? I like that term. I'm making biscuit dough to freeze and it calls for shortening. I want to use the lard this time. I imagine I cant mess up too bad with this. I will use a snidger less.

ThanksReinbeau.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I saw another one that said 1/3c + 1T of crisco or 1/3c lard. I can't find anything else though, besides opinions on lard and shortening, lol.

5. ScoobyRoo

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:That was my problem too. Just opinions that lard was bad and they were substituting the lard with veg shortening or butter.

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Tell us about making biscuit dough to freeze.

7. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I thought lard was very bad for you. Is it worse than veg. short. or the same? Did something change? Just curious, we are trying to become more natural. What is the benefit of lard over shortening? Thanks, sorry so many questions, I've always wondered about using lard and was told it's extremely fattening.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think Flavor is the true judge in this debate, I use lard in many ways because the flavor is so much better, I don't find it to be any more fattening than crisco.

AL

9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I think lard/crisco is now the same as butter/margarine. all the new information says that the partial hydrogenated oils are not as good for you as real fat. Shortening also contains "trans fats" which are now considered bad for you. I think a lot of people switched to shortening because the shelf life is longer as well.

Here's a link on how they make shortening

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/Pages/shortening

I've always substitued lard for shortening using the exact measurements of the recipe.

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I've read the opposite. People are going back to lard because it's supposed to be healthier, more natural and actually much cheaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by