Using lard instead of shortening

Quote:
That is what I read too. Everyone has their own opinions too.
roll.png

Quote:
I have a wonderful bisquit recipe that my family and I love. The best part is it can be frozen. I thought I would share.

3 c. of flour 3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. of sugar 1/2 c. shortening
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp baking powder 1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar 1c. + 2 Tbs. milk

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg at once and mix until dough forms. Knead dough on floured surface 10-12 times. Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness, cut with 2-1/2'' bisquit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and freeze. When frozen then store in a bag. To bake, place frozen bisquits on lightly greased pan and bake @ 475 degrees for 15 min. My oven I do 415 degrees for 15 min. I double the recipe. There is no waste compared to the canned bisquits and they taste sooo much better! I may try the butter flavored crisco someday. Those ought to be great too!
MP, sorry I don't know how to do the links. I'll teach myself some day.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I think lard/crisco is now the same as butter/margarine. all the new information says that the partial hydrogenated oils are not as good for you as real fat. Shortening also contains "trans fats" which are now considered bad for you. I think a lot of people switched to shortening because the shelf life is longer as well.

Here's a link on how they make shortening

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/Pages/shortening

I've always substitued lard for shortening using the exact measurements of the recipe.

sorry if my post was unclear, I was trying to say that lard is healthier and shortening is bad because of the trans fats. I think the original switch to shortening years ago was made in part because of the longer shelf life.. Hope that's more clear.

I thought lard was very bad for you. Is it worse than veg. short. or the same? Did something change?

People were convinced that saturated fat was bad for you based on a fraudulent study in the 50's.

Turns out there is nothing unhealthy about natural saturated fats. Vegetable based fats are what is clogging people's arteries.

"Numerous surveys of traditional populations have yielded information that is an embarrassment to the Diet Dictocrats. For example, a study comparing Jews when they lived in Yemen, whose diets contained fats solely of animal origin, to Yemenite Jews living in Israel, whose diets contained margarine and vegetable oils, revealed little heart disease or diabetes in the former group but high levels of both diseases in the latter.14 (The study also noted that the Yemenite Jews consumed no sugar but those in Israel consumed sugar in amounts equaling 25-30% of total carbohydrate intake.) A comparison of populations in northern and southern India revealed a similar pattern. People in northern India consume 17 times more animal fat but have an incidence of coronary heart disease seven times lower than people in southern India.15 The Masai and kindred tribes of Africa subsist largely on milk, blood and beef. They are free from coronary heart disease and have excellent blood cholesterol levels.16 Eskimos eat liberally of animal fats from fish and marine animals. On their native diet they are free of disease and exceptionally hardy.17 An extensive study of diet and disease patterns in China found that the region in which the populace consumes large amounts of whole milk had half the rate of heart disease as several districts in which only small amounts of animal products are consumed.18 Several Mediterranean societies have low rates of heart disease even though fat—including highly saturated fat from lamb, sausage and goat cheese—comprises up to 70% of their caloric intake. The inhabitants of Crete, for example, are remarkable for their good health and longevity.19 A study of Puerto Ricans revealed that, although they consume large amounts of animal fat, they have a very low incidence of colon and breast cancer.20 A study of the long-lived inhabitants of Soviet Georgia revealed that those who eat the most fatty meat live the longest.21 In Okinawa, where the average life span for women is 84 years—longer than in Japan—the inhabitants eat generous amounts of pork and seafood and do all their cooking in lard.22 None of these studies is mentioned by those urging restriction of saturated fats. "
http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

I use lard, butter, and olive oil. Sometimes I use coconut oil. That's it.​

Henry'schickens :

I have a wonderful bisquit recipe that my family and I love. The best part is it can be frozen.

Thankyou so much for sharing. This is what I was hoping you would do. I have written it all down on a card and plan to try it soon. Thanks again!!​

I switched to lard because I am extremely sensitive to soy. I love lard! I use pretty much the exact same amount as I did shortening.

those old, Mc Donald's fries that you all loved so much ? they used to be fried in lard.. now they use vegetable shortening.. they don't even compare to the old ones for flavor.

Back
Top Bottom