Using LG heat element to make another bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skillswife, Aug 1, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Well even with all the suggestions and help from everyone here I have not been able to get the rotton egg stench from my LG bator.....Can I use the heating element from the lg bator and put in something homemade? Suggestions would be awesome. Millie our broody is on 11 eggs right now, but 4 came the past few days while we were on vacation and will be due much later. So if I can get a bator going before lockdown for Millie the broody, thats what I want to do for those 4 eggs. I thought about just getting a cheap styrofoam cooler and screwing it into the lid, because essentially thats how its attached right now. But maybe there would be something better than styrofoam that I might have laying around. Can I just make a wooden box and insulate it with foam or something? I figure I could also reuse the windows and incorporate them too. Thanks everyone!
  2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Here is a suggestion, if you can find this type of cooler, and YOU can put as many vent holes in it as you want. I would suggest putting a little computer fan in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by