Using LG w/o turner...leave on wire or put in carton for day 18-21?

Irajoe

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
South Carolina
This is our first attempt at incubating...we candled tonight (beginning of 7th day) and saw movement in 5 eggs. Finally, the temperature is regulated and hopefully we'll have smoother sailing the remaining 14 days. The kids are very excited...we thought we may have lost them all to a temperature spike on day 1.

Question regarding day 18...should we leave the eggs on the wire (we don't have a turner) in the LG or should we put the eggs in the bottom half of an egg carton for hatching. They will have been on their sides during the entire incubation. While I've read many threads of people using the egg cartons, I didn't know if it was okay to place them upright for hatching when they've been on their sides for incubation.

I'd be grateful to learn from your experiences!

when we had our LG, before we got the turner, and had them on thier side, we put them in the egg carton, they hatched just fine. It's kind of a toss-up, really. They do seem to have a harder time getting out when on thier sides, especially if you have a lot in there to hatch. It seems the first ones always end up knocking around the ones that havent yet. It's really up to you.
ETA Just remember, air sac up.

Last edited:
Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.
wink.png

I use LG's all the time and have never used the carton method. I have great hatches. I would suggest using some cupboard liner tho. U can purchase it at the dollar store and it helps from having the eggs rolling all over the place. Best of luck on your hatch.

Mu first chick that hatched roll all the eggs that were begining to hatch all over the incubator! So I would put something in there to help them not to roll around.

Back
Top Bottom