using light on baby chicks

katy 1

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Hello all Im new here and this is my first post, hope I do it right...... ok my husband and I are wanting to get some chicks and we are in the process of building the coop as we speak, i know we will be getting day old chicks , my question is it is summer her in Oklahoma and I was wondering if we keep the chicks in a brooder in our garage until they are old enough to free run do they need a light? For warmth I mean also how hot is too hot? Has anyone ever kept chicks outside in an extremly safe box that you know no critter could get to them? I havent done chicks since i was like 12 and Im pretty sure i didnt do it "by the book" at that age actually my parent just borrowed a bator from a friend and we got fertile eggs (I was a brat and threw a fit cuz i wanted to raise some chickens:p) we lived in town they never thought i would stick to it turning them several times a day hehehe i showed them
smile.png
anyhow so do they need a heat lamp if its war/borderline hot outside? Again Im new at this and I am sorry if anything was innapropriate or posted in the wrong location:/ any advise would be great and thanks in advance

You can give them a heat lamp but make sure they are able to 'escape' to another side of the brooder if they are too hot. Let them decide - but please check on them frequently in the first few days to make sure they aren't over-heating!

welcome-byc.gif

I'll be brooding day olds this week. I'm in SW Arkansas. I plan to offer a heat lamp the first week, if the weather stays like it is right now. After the first week I doubt I'll use it in the daytime, only at night.
The general rule of thumb is 90-95 degrees the first week, dropping by 5 degrees a week until you are down to 70 degrees, at which time they should no longer need a heat source. I say "general" because even as day olds, my last flock never liked the 90 degrees and were more comfortable around 80 to 85.
What's more important than watching the thermometer is to watch your chicks. Huddling under the heat source and peeping loudly, they are too cold. As far away from the heat source as they can get, panting and sometimes holding their little wings out and they are too hot. Sleeping bunched up - even away from the heat source - is normal and shouldn't be considered huddling. It's hard to explain, but you'll know the difference when you see it.
Good luck to you!
smile.png

yeah, make sure the brooder is lg. enough that they can get from under the light if they want....also this brooder is built so lots of air can circulate right,? I don't think you are stupid, but my co-worker thought when i said I had my chicks in a brooder that they were in a box that is complete with a light and enough space to move from it, but it has no screen or anything. I told him I do not want to come back in my next life as a chicken and be raised by him.
I have 6 little bantams in a brooder now and it has a light, but plenty of room for them to escape it if they so desire. I am in Va. and today's temp is 93. down from the other days.

Back
Top Bottom