Using Milk Crates for nest boxes

I have 4 milk crates on a shelf. I cut out the side like a semi circle with our saber saw, leaving a ledge to keep the bedding inside and they are tight on the shelf. There is a board along the front that keeps them in place.

I have 4 milk crates on a shelf, they are sitting upright but I used the saber saw to cut an opening in the side leaving a ledge at the bottom. I smoothed the edges where I cut the crate with a file. They are wedged in on the shelf and I put a board on top of the shelf to keep them in place. Mine are 10 weeks old now and haven't discovered the boxes yet. I tried to add a picture but couldn't find a good way to do that.

This is what I was thinking of doing. Mounting them to a board with a slanted board above to keep them from roosting on them.

I have one very smart Leghorn (my favorite) who used the nest box almost from day one. She has gone back to it ever since. I thought, "great! She is starting everyone off right", but the rest of my mixed flock has been laying on the floor or in FRONT of the boxes. Silly girls. I have two boxes of ample space up on stilts about 18", but no roof or sides. I have golf balls in it too. My Leghorn uses the shelf unit I put in on its side, and loves it. I am going to give the rest a few more weeks and then probably put a plastic milk crate in the other open nest boxes to see if that helps, because right now the girls go in, but just scratch the straw around.

Back
Top Bottom