1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using old incubator parts.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Oct 28, 2010.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I have a still air foam incubator that really Sux. I was thinking about making an incubator from a plastic Ice chest that I have. Could I use the guts from the old incubator for the new one? Do you think it would maybe be a better incubator?? The old one I have the temp never stays stable at all. have any of Ya ever tried this?? Any luck?? Let me know!

2. notchicken

notchicken New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    Yes this is what im going to do soon. Except going to replace the wafer thermostat with a digital. Also was thinking about 1/2" plyood lined in sheet insulation. I have the up most respect for these folks hatching out of the foam's!! I used to use an old metal bower bator 20 years or so ago and I think my hatches where better back then lol.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect that IF you install a "computer fan" in the homemade incubator...it WILL probably work better. The fan distributes the air/humidity/heat better than a "still-air incubator".

Of course, it will ALL depend upon HOW you build it.

Do a "Search" for homemade incubators. There you WILL find much relevant information !!! [​IMG]

Best of Luck! [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by