Using Orange Guard on Cockroaches in a Coop

BrittAnne

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and chickens. I have only had my girls for about 6 months now.
big_smile.png

Last night I went out to do something in the run and saw cockroaches crawling on the floor. I know chickens like to eat them, but since they only come out at night the girls will not go out to catch them. I have read several different posts about what I can do to control the roaches and I have some questions. I already use Food Grade DE, but I think I want to use Orange Guard as well. I have a few questions though and want to confirm a few things before I use it around my girls. I also wanted the advice of people who are more experienced with chickens.

First- If I spray the Orange Guard on the ground will it harm the chickens in any way? Do I just have to make sure it fully dries before they walk on it?

Second- If I spray Orange Guard and a chicken eats either something from the ground or say a roach that has walked through it will they be harmed?

Third- Is there a better option to use other than the Orange Guard?

Thanks in advance for the help!
big_smile.png

First I mix a bit of Seven dust with the DE and spread that in with the wood chips in the coop. That alone has, for me, proven to be very effective against everything from ants to mites. I also clean out my coop every morning by tossing the poop and once in a while adding new wood chips with more DE mixed with Seven dust. Then about once a month I make a weak mixture of Permethrin and water and spray that all over the inside of the coop. Again, so far it has been effective. If I do happen to see a roach or cricket anywhere I try and catch it and give it to my chickens as a treat. In all the time I have been doing this my chickens have not had any ill effects.

Thanks Capvin.

A silly question, but where can I find Seven dust? I did a search for it online and the band keeps coming up, LOL. Is it called Seven 10 dust? Also is Permethrin toxic to the chickens? How weak of a solution do you make of the water and Permethrin?

I see Sevin at many stores.Soon it will get marked down(end of summer) so I can stock up.I find my chickens rolling around in the pine shavings every am,so putting it directly in the shavings is good.

You'd be much better off not using a toxic product like Sevin. Use DE or Spinosad for bugs, Spinosad is selective, it doesn't harm good insects, only the bad.....and Orange Guard is fine as well...

Sevin...
roll.png

Thanks everyone.
big_smile.png

I am just so totally grossed out!
sickbyc.gif
I have never had a bug problem before and I thought I was keeping everything so clean...I guess not!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom