Using our Turkey to hatch Guinea Eggs

gavada

Chirping
11 Years
May 13, 2011
Gainesville, Virginia
We have a turkey who just started to sit on her nest the day we got some guinea eggs in to hatch. I was just wondering if it's ok to let her hatch out the guineas along with her turkey eggs? We currently only have one guinea fowl (a male). Will he raise the keets when they hatch? We also have a single hen (we recently lost most of our flock to a fox) so maybe she can take control? Or is it somehow better for us to raise them ourselves?

Turkey and Guinea eggs take the same amount of time to hatch, so the Turkey Hen will probably raise the keets as her own if she hatches them successfully, and do a good job of it. I doubt the male Guinea will want much to do with the keets, and the Turkey Hen probably won't let the Guinea anywhere near them anyway, lol. You can raise them in a brooder yourself once they hatch, but if you have a safe environment for the Turkey Hen to raise them all, I'd let her.

Good luck! We want pics when they hatch!

That's good to hear. We're all for letting her or one of the others raise them if they will. It's much easier on us and better for the birds. I'm excited for these eggs to hatch. My neighbor also had a duck egg and put in the nest so it may be quite the collection of baby birds in this pile. I'll be sure to post pics when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom