Using PVC to water

jtay72

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Helena
I've seen articles where people screwed chicken nipples in to PVC filled with water from a source like a rain barrel. While this is very appealing to me due to the seemingly elimination of watering every day, the question I have is, would the pipe not eventually grow algae? Has anyone used this method, and would they recommend it? Why / why not?
Thanks.

I do recommend it with some precautions. There isn't much light penetration in PVC but eventually there will be some. You can shock the system with chlorine from time to time.
If you want to go straight into the pipe, it needs to be at least 2" PVC.
You can use 1/2" pipe with 1/2" - 1/8" - 1/2" tees. That's what I use for horizontal nipples.
The vertical nipples will freeze.

Last edited:

I am trying it out. This 5 gallon water jug lasts a long time. I set it up inside the insulated coop and haven't had any problem with freezing or algae yet. What's wrong with keeping it inside the coop anyway? What I did learn is that air needs a way to get inside the jug because as the water was used, my jug sucked in on itself until it wouldn't allow water out the nipples anymore. To alleviate this issue I loosen the PVC fitting just under the jug until air bubbles can gurgle up into the head space. No leaking though.

I put a spigot on the end of my pipe. I can drain it for cleaning or to prevent freezing. also my nipples can be disassembled for cleaning.
My water source is a bucket with a toilet float in it. The bucket can be disconnected and cleaned separately.

Back
Top Bottom