Using Rabbit Water Bottles For Chicks?

only thing i could see as problem is when they use it they could hurt their beaks . if using a cup, put rocks or marbles in it to keep them from falling in,, i always used the little wateres that are just like the big ones. less poo gets in them then in a cup

Yes, you can, and I often do use small critter water bottles for chicks.

I kinda prefer "poultry nipples" though. These are valves thingies screwed into the bottom of just about any plastic bottle hung on the side of a brooder bin. Do a search here on BYC for "chicken nipples" - do NOT try the same search on the Internet!!!! (You won't like what you find...)

A nipple watering system is even perfect for grown chickens, while rabbit/hamster water bottles are not.
HAHAHAHA I should have searched on BYC first! I found out the hard way why one should NOT google 'chicken nipples'! It's quite an eye opener.
ep.gif

Hamster/rabbit water bottles drip. And drip. And drip. My mom bought one for her parrot and soon learned that while there is less water on the floor than there was with an open cup, it's still soggy by the waterer. I'm using nipples with six hens that were started on them as chicks. Dry floor, healthy hens.

I have 3 day old chicks, they are using the bunny bottle fairly well. I did have to take them one by one and put their beak to the tip ( i made sure nothing went in their nostrils) and I have been watching them one by one to make sure they are getting the hang of it. So far so good. The first day I put an upturned jar top under the bottle to catch the drips to make sure that even if some didnt get the hang of it, they had something to drink out of. But they have been doing great.

Back
Top Bottom