1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Using refrigerated eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DementedHam, Jul 11, 2007.

1. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Is it possible to hatch fertilized eggs after thay have been in the refrigerator for a certain amount of time?

Also, how big can the air bubble in the egg get before i incubate them?

I plan on hatching chicks in the near future but would like these questions answered.
    Thank You. [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont think refridgerated eggs will hatch. The cold kills the embryo. If you know for sure your eggs are fertile, and want to give it a try....I say...why not? Just dont expect much. If you DO try....let us know.

3. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Well i learned from a friend that she froze an egg for four days and gave it to her broody so she would not be able to hatch it, and it hatched! to this day she[the miracle chick] is alive and well.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    iv heard that putting in the fridge kills them .

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There are whole books on chicken eggs and freezing and cooling time and charts related to hatchability and fertility.

Ideally you keep them just under room T for under a week. But, you can refrigerate them for a week and still have birds come out. You can set them on the counter for 3 weeks and still have chicks. You can put a large air sac egg and get a chick. Just your hatch rate will be low and disappointing. Best to store the eggs you want to hatch at the best conditions you can for the best chances at getting chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by