Using Sand as Flooring- Help!

Thanks for the answer! I am certainly no expert, but DE scares me a little. I know that it is extremely fine and sharp particles, and I've heard that it is very bad for human lungs. I wonder about chicken lungs. Is this widely used?

Tim

Thanks for the answer!  I am certainly no expert, but DE scares me a little.  I know that it is extremely fine and sharp particles, and I've heard that it is very bad for human lungs.  I wonder about chicken lungs.  Is this widely used?

Tim

I know that is popular among the people in general! I haven't used it with my chickens yet but I don't see why not we couldn't disperse and mix it well with the sand! I mean- the chickens tend to take dust bathes, what's the difference? Anyone else, please contribute! I am new to this all.

I've heard of people's chickens getting compacted but that hasn't happened in my case. I put in couple of bags of play sand and couple of bags of the all purpose sand. Both are washed. My chickens picked out the small pebbles for grit. They've been in the coop on sand since July and they've done well. I'm more concerned that they eat feathers.

Sadly I was out of the delivery range for the riversilt,
But ended up just breaking down and purchasing (7) 60 ibs All purpose sand and a tarp haha.
Got to love how cheap they are~

Thanks everybody!

I only had to buy 5 bags for my 4x8 run. 3 50 pound bags of play sand at $3.43 each and 2 60 pound bags at 3.53 each. Cheap compared to everything else I was buying. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom