Using sand as litter????

macadam8157

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2011
NC, Raleigh
Was curious how many are using sand as litter??? As well as how to clean out sand?? Is there a pitch fork or some way to modify one so its like a kitty litter scooper??? Any Ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.

I use sand in my brooder and I love it! No smell, very absorbent, easy to clean. I have not used it in the coop though. Some people have, they say it's better in warmer weather because stuff feezing into clumps in colder climate, and with moisture in general freezing it in the winter. But, if you are going to scoop things up anyway I'm not sure myself if itnwould make that much of a difference. I live in northern NY and I am considering it. As far as what to clean it with, I saw something at TSC that looked like a giant cat litter scoop, I think it's actually used in horse barns but it looked like it might work.

I'll be trying my luck with it in the next weeks as we complete the coop. I was planning on using it in the run but with all the positive posts I'll be putting it in the coop as well.

If you type sand into the coop box, there are couple of really long threads about this. Our ground is sand and I had decided ahead of time this made a lot of sense..you can also find articles on google about it

I use sand in my brooder, I love it. I just clean the brooder with a kitty litter scoop. The brooder stays much drier and smells so much better too ! I use play sand, it was the only type available at the Wal~Mart that I shop at.

Ok so just so I'm certain any store bought sand is ok???? Also just to clarify I'm referring to putting sand inside the coop as litter not a brooder.

Word is esp for the coop and run VS brooder that it works great and is cheaper to get the courser sand. I'm thinking a landscape co carries it? I plan on doing this with mine which hopefully will be done soon!

I have used playground/sand box sand in my chickens enclosure. i figure if it is good enough for the children it's good enough for my chickens. I do not know if there are any 'dangerous' impurities in building/construction sand. In my dry climate the sand make clean-up easier. I just use a doggy popper scooper.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom