Using sandbags around coop any experience to share?

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Here in CT, its been wet. run location needs a trench I'll do this spring. In the meantime with the heavy rains expected today, Gonna put sand bags around coop. Any tips or experiences to share? Thanks šŸ“ā¤ļø
IMG_6976.jpeg

Sorry I have nvr done this. You do have hardware cloth behind it rght so predators do not get in. I do not have experience with it but it looks like it would work for the most part might have a little leakage but not nearly enough for a impact on the chickens. Sorry I could not be more help.

I donā€™t have experience with sand bags. In a pinch though, the sand bag idea sounds solid for diverting water. Make sure you stack them snug against each other, so the water canā€™t run in between them anywhere... should keep a flood of water out.

Thank you. The sand bags actually did do a good job of diverting snow melt water with the 12 hours of rain. I was not disappointed when i entered the run this AM. I used 3 6ft long sandbags on the outside, back where i know the water comes from. I still need to dig a trench this spring, but the sanbags definitely helped. Last winter was very mild and wet and honestly, unseasonable. The ground isnt even frozen fully. Here in CT, its almost 50 degrees and ALL 6 inches of snow is GONE. Just odd weather for CT. šŸ“ā¤ļø
IMG_6162.jpeg

I love the Gold Laced Wyandotte photo! I have always thought they are one of the prettiest birds. BTW, It was 6 F and 9 inches of snow a week ago down here in west Tennessee! That is not unheard of but much more like winter than normal here. In fact the past ten years , we have had 4 of the coldest winters, out of the past thirty plus years, with single digit temps for extended days. A large fig tree that I had grown for almost twenty years with no problems, has died down to the ground level each of those years Now, it never gets over 5 or 6 feet tall with one or two year old growth before it is burned down again by frigid temps.

Back
Top Bottom