Using Shredded Paper for Coop Litter - As Good As Wood Chips?

Pics
I avoid scented fabric softener b/c of my excema…too many chemicals!
Yes. I switched to All Free and Bounce Free years ago. I started to itch and could not figure out why for a while. Finally figured it had to be the laundry products! No problems since I switched. Now looking for hypoallergenic body wash and shampoo for dry, diabetic skin, sigh!

I have the same problem as @gtaus concerning strong odors, even if it is an otherwise pleasant smell like perfume. Seems the spray odors are the worst but even a perfume oil can trigger a spell. Often what happens is my lungs will just lock up and I can neither inhale nor exhale, it's terrifying! This can also be triggered in a store in the laundry soap or household cleaners aisles or the candle aisle. Gain laundry products are the WORST! Febreze a close second. Chemicals, gag! :sick

As an asthmatic, I agree wholeheartedly.

What's wrong with soap smelling like, duh, soap?

And don't get me started on Febreeze.

If people would simple keep themselves and their clothing clean, there would be no need to cover up disgusting odors with overwhelming artificial chemical scents.

And open their windows to let the fresh air and sunshine in.

I picked up a couple library discard old edition Ag student textbooks about 20 years ago and remember to this day the warning that a calf would die from bad air in the average home.

Seems the spray odors are the worst but even a perfume oil can trigger a spell. Often what happens is my lungs will just lock up and I can neither inhale nor exhale, it's terrifying!

Sorry to hear that your reactions can be so serious. My reactions are pretty much just a coughing spell, but I have no trouble breathing.

FWIW, I am a RN, and we are taught from the start not to wear strong perfumes or colognes on the job. Some patients who are sensitive to smells have really bad reactions to odors, even if the odor is itself pleasant.

And open their windows to let the fresh air and sunshine in.

I picked up a couple library discard old edition Ag student textbooks about 20 years ago and remember to this day the warning that a calf would die from bad air in the average home.

:eek: Never heard that one before! But will agree that I really look forward to spring time when I can open the doors and windows to let fresh air in the house. Living in northern Minnesota, we cannot air out the house for many months on end. Old houses used to leak a lot of fresh air, even in the winter, but our newer energy efficient houses can be almost air tight. I imagine our winter air quality today is much worse than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

From what I understand, chickens are also very sensitive to odors and their small lungs can get infected if the coop is not kept fresh. One of the big concerns I have using paper shreds instead of wood chips is wondering if the paper shreds will keep the smell under control. So far, I really don't see/smell any difference in using either as coop litter.

Sorry to hear that your reactions can be so serious. My reactions are pretty much just a coughing spell, but I have no trouble breathing.

FWIW, I am a RN, and we are taught from the start not to wear strong perfumes or colognes on the job. Some patients who are sensitive to smells have really bad reactions to odors, even if the odor is itself pleasant.
Thank you for that! :hugs

Living in northern Minnesota, we cannot air out the house for many months on end.

When I lived in Massachusetts I used to throw the windows open for an hour or so if it got above freezing in January.

I'd turn off the heat and bundle the kids into their coats in the interest of getting some fresh air into a stale house.

Back
Top Bottom