Using T posts for my run

T posts are ok if all you're trying to do is keep your chickens contained. (Although if that's all, then heavy bamboo stakes are just about as good and often cheaper).

But an all-T-post fence is not going to hold up to wind or dogs or other predators very well. In particular you will find that you cannot keep the fence wire tight, as the corners sag inward.

It is best to have at least the corner posts be wood (either 4x4 pressure-treated, or 4+" cedar fenceposts) sunk at least 2.5-3' into the ground. That way at least you can keep the wire from going all floppy. If you need to use t-posts as *run* posts (intermediate along the side, between corners) then that is not as good as wood but not the end of the world.

However a HUGE advantage of using ALL wood posts for a run is that it allows you to securely attach a horizontal board at the top, and at the bottom, of the wire fence, which will make it MUCH stronger and more durable and more predatorproof.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We have heavy clay here, so t-posts hold up quite well. I can see where it would be a problem in very loose soil or sandy soil. I guess it just depends on where you live.

I dunno, I'm on real bad clay (and have been for most of my life) and have never seen t-posts hold taut fencing well without starting to keel over.

Maybe you are on drier soil?

Who knows, just something for people to mull over,

Pat

Quote:
I'm from CO and all of our horse pastures and fencing is by t-posts. We have hard clay and if you don't put the posts in in early summer, forget it. Everything dries up and you'll need a cement crusher to get 6 inches!

As far as T-posts go for me, I say go for it. I was actually thinking the same thing. The deeper they're buried, the more stable they'll be...

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom