Using T posts for my run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdix, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jdix

jdix Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Does anyone else use T posts for their run? We're using 6' T posts with 5' 2"x4" welded wire over it. We're going to bury 3' hardware cloth 12" in the ground to predator proof it. Looking through the pics of everyone's run I didn't see anything like this. Is there something I'm missing? Any reason I'm not seeing more of this style?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    How will you buuild your door so it is secure?

A better option it to use 8' long 2" round treated posts. Drive them in with the same t-post hammer, but use 8' PTGT 4"x4" posts on either side of your door. Still quick and minimal digging.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm used 6' T-posts for my run. As the previous poster mentioned, making a door for it was problematic; mine is cobbled together. But I'm happy enough with it.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Can someone tell me what a T-post is? I know what a U-post is but not a T-post

5. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    T post and U post same idea different shape.
    I used t post on my run then put in a 4x4 wood post. Stapled the wire to the post hung a gate to my coop and a latch on the post.
    You can kinda see it here. I used bird netting on top it was on clearance at lowes for $3 for 14x14
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    It double posted.......

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I used t-posts and knotted 2x4 wire fencing on mine. I don't have much of a predator problem though and I'm planning to use the pasture as double-duty for a pair of goats as well. It works for my situation.

8. Eggstra New

Eggstra New Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Springport, Michigan
    I used T-posts for my run. I also have a cobbled door tho.

9. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    I was planning on using tposts for my run.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    At one point in time I had a t-post and wire run. I used one of my spare dog kennel gates for a door. You can use any kind of gate, even regular chain link fence gates. We've got one of them up the hill. We just put a t-post on either side of the gate. For a door on a temporary holding pen, I just used a couple of c-links to attach the two ends of wire together. I would undo them and pull the wire open to get in and out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by