Using tarp over run for rain/snow?

wilobrookfarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Well....
I have 2 10x10 dog kennels side by side for "runs". Here's my problem. I spend 2 days adding tarps to tops of runs to keep everyone drier. I used 2x4,s spanned across top for support, and then ziptied the tarp to the outside frames. Everything looked so nice, and I was so excited my girls would stay dry. (They always look like drowned rats after a rain). We have been drizzling rain off and on for days. Anyway... a good rain just went thru, and when I went out to tuck everyone in tonight, the "roof" has acquired "pools" of water in between supports! Is there anyway to solve this, without building a whole complicated structure? (I'm on my own here! Hubby has no interest in my feathered kids. I can cut and nail boards, thats about it!)
Any thoughts?
idunno.gif

yes, it is nice and wavy looking, comes in translucent white for sure, and green, like greenhouse siding, it's good stuff, light and easy to work with. And it takes a lot less support lumber than tarps! When you put it up, overlap one wavy. They make special screws that have a rubber sealing washer so that water doesn't leak through the screw holes.

The corregated PVC roofing is very strong and sheds water and snow very well. We used drywall screws to attach it to the roof, which is constructed of 2x4s and plywood. We bought the sheets at Menards, a local home improvement store. They are overlapped by several inches and the slope drains off the back. It comes in several colors, but we chose white to keep it cooler in the summer.

Last edited:
Maybe you can raise up one side?? To let the water runoff. Not sure if thats workable, my skills are also a bit lame. I dont even like to cut the boards. Though I will if I have to. Maybe you can take a 2x4 and nail it on its side, so its taller, to the one end of the other 2x4s that span your run. Does that make sense to you? Not sure i I am being clear.

I've spent too much time dealing with one of those over the patio top things, and water pooling. With the dog kennels pieces being so sturdy, and tarps having grommets...can you cinch everything up tight between those two points ? A nifty knit like project.
lol.png

I did have the thing cinched tight with the grommets and zipties. You could bounce a quarter off it! lol But now, after removing water, things are a bit looser. I think the tarps stretched! I may try to raise the front with a 2x4. I had thought of that, but wasn't sure, since I thought my first project was a good idea too! If I was feelling richer, I'd cover it with corrugated tin with a nice pitch. But I was trying to be frugal, as I had the 2x4's and the tarps cost 22 dollars.

Yes, the tarps did stretch.

Yes, add a slight pitch on one edge - just be cautious of where the water will hit the ground, as it'll pool and likely freeze (if you're anywhere north) and turn into a skating pond.

If you add some gravel or some rocks or pavers on the side where the water will hit the ground, it'll help disperse it without leaving a trench of mud (like my chicken coop, whoops!). Although, the chickens have found some GREAT treats in that pool of muck...it just leaves my shoes a wreck, that's all.

You should get good use of those tarps for years, so that $ is always a worthy investment.
Sorry your first trial didn't work so hot. I hate it when that happens. You'll get it figured out eventually. My best tip is probably to remember to wear galoshes anytime you are still ridding yourself of one of those over head puddles.
barnie.gif
I filled my shoes too many times before it was over.

Good luck.
hugs.gif

I live in Northern Va. We have had rain for two weeks straight. I did the same thing with the tarp. We had two big pools of water fill last week. I have extra plastic roofing which I will install when it dries up some. Most hardware stores sell it back near the gutter area. They come in long sheets. I plan on installing a couple of 2x4's on one side of run so water/snow will fall to back of the run. Hope that helps. Good Luck. Looking forward to the first dry day tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom