Using this as a coop... conversion?

I went and looked at this via the link for the price, $800. In little type, it says:

"Shingles, paint and floor sold separately." I would have thought the roof and floor would have been included... :idunno :oops:

I went and looked at this via the link for the price, $800. In little type, it says:

"Shingles, paint and floor sold separately." I would have thought the roof and floor would have been included... :idunno :oops:

Most shed kits do not include those.
We bought a 10x10 several years ago knowing that stuff isn't included. I don't recall if the roof decking was or not.

Total cost on ours ended up around 1,400. Nothing fancy like windows or dimensional shingles was used.

If I recall we ended up adding at least one additional rafter too.

They are ok for folks with limited tools I suppose. Everything is pre-cut.

I can understand the floor and the paint being optional -- not everyone wants a floor or wants paint.

But how is it a "Shed kit" at all without a roof?

4 walls without a roof aren't a shed.

That's baffling.

It has to do with most people wanting to match the roof to the house roof and the gigantic cost variables there.

Honestly, Build it yourself. Buy a door (MUCH easier than building) Wood prices being what they are right now, go with a metal roof. Less labor intensive, too. The only thing that has going for it is that its easier to punch clean holes in than the plastic sheds.

I have yet to see a prefab shed (or any prefab chicken coops on the side of the road) that have adequate ventilation, and most of those that get close obtain it by putting windows at heights that virtually guarantee drafts on the birds, at least some of the year.

You can "almost" get "precut" by careful lumber selection (like 92 5/8" whitewood studs) - you don't think they are using PT wood in those, or even good quality externally rated OSB (OSB and External use is almost an oxymoron anyways). Use soil for the floor, invest in some decent wood for ground contact, and don't worry about bird beaks and mitered cuts for your rafters - this is for birds, not your next residence (I would recommend $4 for a plastic square and mitering your top cuts for the rafters, even for shallow angle - 3/12 minimum - roofs, but that's a handsaw and time, not a huge production. Work in terms of the available lumber (4x8 sheets), etc to further minimize cuts.

Dirt floor and deep bedding/deep litter to cut costs there, put the savings into spend elsewhere. Hurricane ties will ease rafter attachments and ultimately make it stronger than those screw thru designs they use in most of the prefab sheds I've walked thru.

Oh, and buy a prehung door, (I don't think I paid this much, but you get the idea) easier than building your own.

If you even have a tiny amount of building skills, you could probably do foundation one day, floor joists and floor the next, framing and roof joists the next, and having siding and roof on the next. That’s four probably 8-10 hour work days and you’d have something that you want, for a much lower cost and a much higher quality. You’d have the same amount of time finishing the interior on something you build as you would with something you converted. I realize not everyone has that option, but if I did have the option, I’d build my own (and that is actually what I did).

Last edited:
If you even have a tiny amount of framing skills, you could probably do foundation one day, floor joists and floor the next, framing and roof joists the next, and having siding and roof on the next. That’s four probably 8-10 hour work days and you’d have something that you want, for a much lower cost and a much higher quality. You’d have the same amount of time finishing the interior on something you build as you would with something you converted. I realize not everyone has that option, but if I did have the option, I’d build my own (and that is actually what I did).

AGREE. Admittedly, there are things about this that don't make it optimum for birds, its primarily a goat pen, but some basic tools and some basic skills, you can erect something both fast and functional.

Or you can go the hoop coop method, if your HOA will tolerate. That requires fewer (albeit different) tools and a slightly different skillset.

Back
Top Bottom