Using this as a coop... conversion?

Not trying to make anyone feel dumb. :hugs

For roosts I use 2x4's at 24" from the floor and 18" or more away from the wall and the other roosts. Wide side up is what is recommended.

Housing ducks with chickens can be problematic for many reasons. For one ducks are party animals and move around during the night. That makes for tired cranky chickens. If you have a drake they can kill chickens if they try to breed them.

If I were to use a big structure like that shed to house both I would have a dividing wall and separate outdoor areas for them.
Of course, but thanks 😊

Thank you! That shed is 8x12, so how many roosts for 10-14 chickens if I wanted at least 4-6 square feet per bird?

I do realize that. I wish I had a better way of doing things, but with my budget i can’t really afford two sheds. I like my girls, so I won’t be getting any drakes, ever, so no worries on breeding. I also don’t plan to get, or have, any roosters.

My plan isn’t clear yet, but I either will be splitting it, and splitting the runs, or combining it and the runs. We’ll have to see what I think will work out in the end.

And Ducks don't Roost, as I'm sure you know. They nest on the ground, so make certain you leave some area for them which is not underneath your chicken roosts. My ducks are stupid, they will Nest almost anywhere, including in the middle of the pathway right next to the gate, so everyone walks over their eggs when I let them out in the morning. I hope your ducks are much smarter
Yes, of course I know they don’t roost (Except for Muscovy ducks.)

Ducks aren’t all that intelligent in such situations. I figure perhaps using a poop board to help with that, or just splitting the coop.

Of course, but thanks 😊

Thank you! That shed is 8x12, so how many roosts for 10-14 chickens if I wanted at least 4-6 square feet per bird?

I do realize that. I wish I had a better way of doing things, but with my budget i can’t really afford two sheds. I like my girls, so I won’t be getting any drakes, ever, so no worries on breeding. I also don’t plan to get, or have, any roosters.

My plan isn’t clear yet, but I either will be splitting it, and splitting the runs, or combining it and the runs. We’ll have to see what I think will work out in the end.

You will only need 2 roosts at 8' long. Roost space should be about 1 foot of roost per bird.

If you do house the ducks in with the chickens a poop board is almost a must have.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t have food or water in it either, but with ducks comes moisture.

I’m a fan of this one. If the price works out, I think this is what I will go with. (But I’m very picky, I keep changing my mind, so we’ll see) However, I can’t see if it’s OSB or Particleboard that’s in use. What do you think?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Heartland-...rage-Shed-Installation-Not-Included/999961887
If you're in this price range, you might check with a local shed vendor. We're in TN, too, and have a few buildings from https://www.cherokeestructures.com/inspiration. They're super solid, delivered fully assembled, and cost is comparable.

We went through a vendor in Oak Ridge who sells sheds for Cherokee. We do match our outbuildings to our home, though our current home is a barndominium, so it looks like an outbuilding itself.

They'll work with you on materials and colors. Of course, we still tweaked it after it was delivered, adding HC over the windows/ventilation, flooring, changing up the roosts, yada. Another downside is they're generally 5-10 weeks out on orders. However, I'm in love with our coop from them.

Edited for better readability.

If you're in this price range, you might check with a local shed vendor. We're in TN, too, and have a few buildings from https://www.cherokeestructures.com/inspiration. They're super solid, delivered fully assembled, and cost is comparable.

We went through a vendor in Oak Ridge who sells sheds for Cherokee. We do match our outbuildings to our home, though our current home is a barndominium, so it looks like an outbuilding itself.

They'll work with you on materials and colors. Of course, we still tweaked it after it was delivered, adding HC over the windows/ventilation, flooring, changing up the roosts, yada. Another downside is they're generally 5-10 weeks out on orders. However, I'm in love with our coop from them.

Edited for better readability.
I’ll definitely look into that. Thank you.

Oh... you are right. Seems I misread the price. I’m working on a budget right now, but I don’t think that one is in it lol.
If you're on a budget, then totally take the tips here, watch some YouTubes, and build it yourself. You can do it! After buying that big coop, we needed a smaller one on a tight timeline and built it for a fraction of the price. It's nowhere near as beautiful (we have aesthetic tweaking to do), but it's strong, squared, safe, and ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom