Using trees as posts for my run?

Gridguru

Chirping
Jan 30, 2016
Dallas, TX area.
So now that the coup building process is getting close to the end, I am starting to think about building the run.

We have a lot of post oaks in the yard (lots...like 300 of em). Post oaks grow very straight, thus the name. The area I plan to build the run is in an opening with trees on three of the sides. I was thinking, I might be able to have a bigger run, by somehow using the trees as some of my posts, rather than having the posts inside of the opening. The trees would all be on the outside of the run, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to seal around the trees at the top of the coop.

It would give it a somewhat irregular shape, but that might be cool, if not more difficult to build/layout.

I am thinking I may be able to attach 2x4s to the trees and build my run framing off of them. Granted, I may have to remove and reset the boards attached to the trees as they grow, but that wouldn't be too often as these are mostly fully grown trees.

Thoughts, concerns? Has anyone else done something like this?

So now that the coup building process is getting close to the end, I am starting to think about building the run.

We have a lot of post oaks in the yard (lots...like 300 of em). Post oaks grow very straight, thus the name. The area I plan to build the run is in an opening with trees on three of the sides. I was thinking, I might be able to have a bigger run, by somehow using the trees as some of my posts, rather than having the posts inside of the opening. The trees would all be on the outside of the run, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to seal around the trees at the top of the coop.

It would give it a somewhat irregular shape, but that might be cool, if not more difficult to build/layout.

I am thinking I may be able to attach 2x4s to the trees and build my run framing off of them. Granted, I may have to remove and reset the boards attached to the trees as they grow, but that wouldn't be too often as these are mostly fully grown trees.

Thoughts, concerns? Has anyone else done something like this?
I have one concern. Will you be able to cover that run? I agree that it would be really cool to have an irregularly shaped run, and the shade would be wonderful for the chickens. But what will you do about predators? Those trees right at the outside edge of the run would make a dandy place for them to climb up and then launch themselves right in with your flock. Birds of prey, raccoons, possums, even rats could make their way in and would appreciate you having done some of the work of gaining access for them.

Blooie's right on about predators using the trees. Another reason to use a cover would be to keep any of your birds from flying up into the branches.

Other than that, I think using your trees as posts would be a real cost saver!

Oh, it will definitely still be covered with HW cloth. The run will be a fully framed unit with hardware cloth around the whole thing.

With all of the trees, I am sure i'll have plenty of predators on top of my run and coop, so i'll make sure it's VERY secure and strong enough to hold any animal that ends up on it.

I plan to set up a trail cam for a while to see what exactly is hanging around there at night.

Oh, it will definitely still be covered with HW cloth. The run will be a fully framed unit with hardware cloth around the whole thing.

With all of the trees, I am sure i'll have plenty of predators on top of my run and coop, so i'll make sure it's VERY secure and strong enough to hold any animal that ends up on it.

I plan to set up a trail cam for a while to see what exactly is hanging around there at night.
Smart plan!!

In my opinion that should work fine. I’ll leave the details of predator-proofing up to you, but if trees are available it is common practice to use them as fence posts when building cattle or horse fences. I grew up doing that and when I built a barbed wire fence on the extra acre I bought most of the section along the road uses trees instead of posts.

Maybe use nylon nails so when you saw the trees for firewood (if that's part of your long term plan) you don't have an accident. Chain saws and metal nails are an interesting mix.

I like it though. Natural coops look better and make for happy chooks. I planted an apple tree in my run and the birds also free range. I have 'pruned' the chicken mesh around the tree and every year I make adjustments to to wire so it doesn't cut into the tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom