Using vinegar when combing coveys

So far all is well, no one was fighting or injured this morning. I’ve developed kind of a method. I added the rest of the tuxes to the grow out. First I misted everyone with vinegar water, I misted the hides and most high traffic areas in the pen. Then I added the littles. I watched for a while, I did this yesterday too, and I changed the sprayer to the sniper setting haha. Anyone who aggressed, even the babies, got a shot of vinegar water, which they like far less than the mist setting. They got the point really fast. I went out every hour to check and after like 2 trips no one needed reminding. I also added 2 hides, and put some of the littles bedding in the pen, spread out a bunch of places.

So far all is well, no one was fighting or injured this morning. I’ve developed kind of a method. I added the rest of the tuxes to the grow out. First I misted everyone with vinegar water, I misted the hides and most high traffic areas in the pen. Then I added the littles. I watched for a while, I did this yesterday too, and I changed the sprayer to the sniper setting haha. Anyone who aggressed, even the babies, got a shot of vinegar water, which they like far less than the mist setting. They got the point really fast. I went out every hour to check and after like 2 trips no one needed reminding. I also added 2 hides, and put some of the littles bedding in the pen, spread out a bunch of places.
Thank you so much for the update. I will make sure and update on mine as well, just as soon as I can put my quail back outside. I am just waiting for the AQI to drop under a billion.

Might have to try this method out this weekend since it seems to work for you guys. I usually put the noobs in a cage next to the main cage but that takes days.

Good morning, it’s day 3 of operation stink bomb, everyone is fine and acting like they’ve always been together. The littles are doing great, no injuries on anyone. The big chicks are about 6 weeks now, I was going to cull 3 males, just for space and social calmness, but everyone is so relaxed I’ll give them another week to get fattened up a bit as long as the males don’t get crazy. I see my runt Shadow snuggling the littles a lot so I hope she’s a hen, at their age that seems to be the general hen response, but 2 of the males also acted this way. Besides the egyptian hens, Shadow is about the largest, the Egyptians are around the same size and also seem to like the littles so far.

The most chasey male is obviously Mikawks son. He’s identical to her. Since I culled Red, Mihawk has been a great big b word. Chasing and being a menace, so I started squirting her for her bad behavior, and she learned equally quickly. I think she needed some losses to shrink her ego.

Good morning, it’s day 3 of operation stink bomb, everyone is fine and acting like they’ve always been together. The littles are doing great, no injuries on anyone. The big chicks are about 6 weeks now, I was going to cull 3 males, just for space and social calmness, but everyone is so relaxed I’ll give them another week to get fattened up a bit as long as the males don’t get crazy. I see my runt Shadow snuggling the littles a lot so I hope she’s a hen, at their age that seems to be the general hen response, but 2 of the males also acted this way. Besides the egyptian hens, Shadow is about the largest, the Egyptians are around the same size and also seem to like the littles so far.

The most chasey male is obviously Mikawks son. He’s identical to her. Since I culled Red, Mihawk has been a great big b word. Chasing and being a menace, so I started squirting her for her bad behavior, and she learned equally quickly. I think she needed some losses to shrink her ego.

I am currently on hour 1 of trying this out. I am using some pretty small younglings as well and it's going pretty good.

They aren't fighting too much but one of the hens seems like she isn't going to get over it. My rooster hasn't done much to either side.

I am currently on hour 1 of trying this out. I am using some pretty small younglings as well and it's going pretty good.

They aren't fighting too much but one of the hens seems like she isn't going to get over it. My rooster hasn't done much to either side.
Mine are still fine, plus I took 4 hens and a roo from that grow out pen, and I put them into the main adult pen, I used the same method and all is well, it’s been a while, almost a week I think, maybe more. Are you squirting the trouble maker? I waited and watched and I squirted any trouble maker each time they showed aggression. But you have to keep repeating until they give up. You gotta deflate their little egos. If you leave them and they have a success with bullying the new ones, they’ll start feeling confident and territorial again. Once they were ignoring all the new ones I would leave and come back in an hour or so, and watch for trouble. By like the third time there was no more trouble.

Mine are still fine, plus I took 4 hens and a roo from that grow out pen, and I put them into the main adult pen, I used the same method and all is well, it’s been a while, almost a week I think, maybe more. Are you squirting the trouble maker? I waited and watched and I squirted any trouble maker each time they showed aggression. But you have to keep repeating until they give up. You gotta deflate their little egos. If you leave them and they have a success with bullying the new ones, they’ll start feeling confident and territorial again. Once they were ignoring all the new ones I would leave and come back in an hour or so, and watch for trouble. By like the third time there was no more trouble.

So day 2 and they aren't really fighting. The olds are keeping the littles from whatever food and water they are by. There's 2 sets of everything but the littles still run into the group of olds to get water and end up getting clocked. I think it's ok they don't seem to be hurt. I hope it calms down although the littles are already looking bigger by the day. I'm sure they will be able to defend themselves soon.

Last edited:
So day 2 and they aren't really fighting. The olds are keeping the littles from whatever food and water they are by. There's 2 sets of everything but the littles still run into the group of olds to get water and end up getting clocked. I think it's ok they don't seem to be hurt. I hope it calms down although the littles are already looking bigger by the day. I'm sure they will be able to defend themselves soon.
I have food inside and outside their shelter area, but one water, I notice mine mostly eat from the outside food near the water, and the originals mostly eat the inside food. I haven’t noticed fighting tho, so I’m not sure “who’s idea it was” for the division haha.

I have food inside and outside their shelter area, but one water, I notice mine mostly eat from the outside food near the water, and the originals mostly eat the inside food. I haven’t noticed fighting tho, so I’m not sure “who’s idea it was” for the division haha.
Update I tried a new integration method called "eating the troublemakers." No more ACV needed.

1 hen couldn't cope. I figured the eggs from 1 hen vs the whole covey being stressed by one aggro was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom